Saturday, May 30, 2015

Space and Place

I entered through some grand spacious stairs. It was welcoming but it made me feel small, which inevitably added to the enormity of the space. I had a choice between a left or right turn and I choose left due to the talk of it being Romulus’ living space. I began walking behind my professor and was tempted to follow in his footsteps to gain more knowledge but a huge building structure caught my eye. I decided to turn into the bumpier road instead of the nice flat road through the trees he and many others took. The space felt like a park because of all the tress, benches, and singing birds but once I climbed into one of the buildings, I immediately felt like I was in a fortress. I kept imagining how Romulus would feel walking around this secluded space over looking the city. I walked from building to building touching walls and climbing up steps. I found myself wanting to be higher and higher. I wanted to reach the highest peak so that I can feel as gran and powerful as the space I was in. I started thinking about the few chosen people who were able to experience this palace and those who could only dream of it. As I proceeded through the space I found that I would walk towards doors and secluded side areas because I was curious to know what was inside. Anything that seemed secret made me want to discover. In some areas I found beautiful views and in others just a dead end. My process was very much of discovery and my curiosity stemmed from wanting to feel grand and also wanting to ease mystery.

No comments:

Post a Comment